Sunday, September 25, 2011

None of the Above

I guess everyone in the field is going to get a boomlet at some point or another, but I'll admit I'm surprised that Herman Cain won the Florida straw poll last night.

From what I can tell, Cain is a good, principled man with a pretty compelling life story, but I have a difficult time imagining that a man who has never run for elected office before could become president, so I take this vote as really meaning None of the Above in re: Romney and Perry.

And, to be honest, that's where I'm at right now. To me, Romney was preferable to John McCain in 2008, but he's not what we need right now. From what I've seen, Rick Perry doesn't impress me much, either. I don't the debates really tell us much about what we really need to know about a candidate's leadership abilities, but one thing seems clear about Perry -- he knows he could be president, but he has not demonstrated why he should be.

So that's where we're at. We need better candidates, but we're not likely to get them. Since the choice is, most likely, between Romney and Perry, we'll have to decide which one is better. Tough choice.

No comments: